Five renowned southwest Florida artists were given a task….. a task that appeared to be simple, but executing the project took some thought.
The Task: Create a Halloween inspired larger than life sculpture, using pumpkins, that would survive our end of summer heat, in public areas throughout downtown. For any of you who have carved a jack-o-lantern, even a day before Halloween – you know the challenge!
1. Sweet Bee created by David Meo is located on First Street on the corner under the newest Fort Myers Mural Society mural “Water, Source of Life” David has more than 40 years of professional experience as an artist, designer, and educator in the visual and performing arts.
2. Cesar Aguilera, Artist and Curator at the Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center (SBDAC) has dedicated
his career to bringing world-class art to southwest Florida. Cesar’s Falkor Protecting the Arts Castle will pop out of the sidewalk between the two light sculptures in front of the SBDAC.
3. The Queen’s Garden by Artist Jeannine Coons created a piece honoring Queens. Her sculpture can be found on Bay and Hendry Street by the new Ella Mae’s Restaurant at The Luminary Hotel.
4. “I want my art to open eyes, one person at a time, even if it is only once,” says Artist Brian Weaver. His pumpkin creation, Witches Wings is located on First Street in-between The Nest and The Franklin Shops. Brian is the owner of Artsemble Underground.
5. Inside the Arcade on Broadway, nestled between Seed & Bean and the Standard Restaurant
you will find a fascinating piece created by Artist Cheryl Logan, Cultured Skulls an international pumpkin head piece depicting several cultures.
All sculptures are subject to change…. Depending on weather and spoilage! Special thank you to The Fort Myers Community Redevelopment Agency, The City of Fort Myers, Fort Myers Mural Society, and Artsemble Underground.